Wednesday, April 6, 2011

First road haul as a BA!



Well Mike E. and I took a road trip to Kansas City to run the Brew to Brew Relay. This relay was a 44 miles run from Boulevard Brewing in KC and finished at Freestate Brewing in Lawrence, KS. The run was miserable! The temp ranged from 70-90 degrees, 75% humidity, and headwinds (blowing out of the west) constantly between 20-40mph. On top of that the course wasn't that easy either.Other than that we had a blast. Night one we drove to Hays about 6 hours away. We went to Gella's Diner, a microbrew/eatery that has won some awards for their beer. It was just okay but nothing to return for. During the trip we also went to Freestate Brewery and 23rd St. Brewery in Lawrence. Freestate was good, with great food as well. But my favorite beer was the Bitter Professor IPA from 23rd St. The Sunday night special was a microbrew in a fishbowl for $7 (50oz.!!!). Needless to say it was a great beer but put an end to my night! I also did 2 person in person trades. One in Lawrence with James: 4x OB Imperial G'Knight, OB Dales Pale Ale and a Upslope IPA for 2x Boulevard Imperial Stout*** and 2x Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout and another trade with Kyle in KC: 2x Boulevard Rye on Rye (I know odd since its KC?) for $$ one Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout***1/2, a top #10 beer and seasonal that is very hard to get and that I'm really looking forward to and he was kind enough to throw in 2x Bell's Two Hearted Ale that Mike and I drank as soon as we got to the hotel!!! Then stopped by a popular KC liquor store (they have Bells and Founders!!) I picked up 2 six packs of Bells Two Hearted Ale ***1/2, a beer I could drink lots of this summer or anytime for that matter and not expect the 7%, 4 four packs of Founders Double Trouble, S.Tier Iniquity Black Ale***, and S.Tier Oak Aged Unearthly IPA**. So what a weekend!! Not to mention after the hard weekend of running the race, drinking a decent amount of great microbrews and traveling I'm a little under the weather this week!

4 comments:

  1. I did pick up a 6 pack of Silverback pale ale from Wynkoop Brewery when we were in Denver last weekend. Theres alot to it (more like a I.P.A.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like Wynkoop's, good food as well! They just merged with Breckenridge Brewery and opened up a new brewpub in downtown Denver, on the West side of the I25. Sounds like a neat place across the bridge from Coor's Field. We need to go to a game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I didn't know that, sounds cool!

    ReplyDelete